Thursday, April 24, 2014

My Minion

Disclaimer: I don't own Disney, Despicable Me or any actual minions. If I did, my family would live on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, shouting scalawagian threats at one another over tourists' heads, and stealing their mouse shaped creamsicles.

Noah has become that guy who poses questions to himself and then answers them. However, English is not his strong suit yet, so it sounds like my son is one of those Disney minions from Despicable Me having a conversation with himself. What is even funnier is how much he looks like a minion, sort of like a round, pale pill with big eyes. And adorable. Cute up-to-here adorable. The conversations go something like this:

Curious Noah: "Da brag?"
Noah Know-It-All: "Da basho yang ana."
Curious Noah: "Oh..."

Curious Noah: "Da Ding?"
Noah Know-It-All: "Dish duc wanna brag da nana."
Curious Noah: "BA!?"
Noah Know-It-All: "NANANANANANA..." giggles "Head!" (smacks himself on the noggin')

This posing and answers of questions with himself will go on for a good ten minutes before he has sorted out all the mysteries of the universe (including why the duck wants a banana on his head [why to brag about, of course]).

Justin thinks that Noah has a minion language all his own that makes perfect, eloquent sense in his head and to other minions. Since they do not make Munchkin Minion Rosetta Stone, I have to struggle through deciphering his sentences all on my own. The worst part is he will spew out a good fifteen word sentence with a subject and predicate, prepositional phrases, demonstrative adjectives; the works. Then he will stare at me with those big beautiful minion eyes in anticipation of a response. The longer I delay in confirming or denying his theory of reality, the more that cherub face falls. To reduce the number of these heart crushing misunderstandings, I have translated several key words below:

Du - 'Duck'
Ish - 'Fish'
Nana - 'Banana', or my mother, this word is contextually dependent.
Long, loud, glass-shattering shriek - 'Well, that didn't go as I had planned, perhaps this world is not the malleable, gently solace I had imagined... And why would anyone put the silverware drawer way up there, where I can't have at the spoons. Crazy people.'

No comments:

Post a Comment