Friday, May 3, 2013

Bye Bye Oil Can Mania

We used to watch a lot of television. Not that we would sit obsessed with the screen; it would just be on while we did homework, or ate, or let our tired brains dissolve. Now we have a child, who is not only far more entertaining than any show we could watch, but also absorbs time like a sponge. With this bouncing little time muncher and another on the way as well as nursing school, working three jobs, and being worshippers, we've decided to get rid of cable. We have Netflix to satisfy our depravity as needed. Cable is just one giant waste of money. (Or so we say now, but just wait until the Utes season starts, and we don't get any of the games. -shudder-)

There are some things I will miss. Perhaps not with the same nostalgia I hold for my carefree childhood days, but miss in that, "remember-how-we-used-to-have-time-to-watch-THAT?" kind of way.

You know you need a life when you watch American Pickers. Since I assume the very best of all three of my readers, I assume you have no idea what American Pickers is. Allow me to educate you. It's these two Iowa farm boys who travel all over the back roads of the country collecting old junk rusty gold. They meet people who haven't shaved since the signing at Appomattox Courthouse, and they dig through tetanus infested barns looking for motorcycle engines they can blow $42,000 on. It's quite boring, honestly. I wouldn't have ever watched it at all, except, at least once an episode, they say it... Sometimes it's a variation. Sometimes they try to just slip it in. But it is always so worth it...

"This would be a really great piece for someone who collects mid-1930s Fleet-Wing oil cans."

...

...

That's your target market?!?!

Who are these people???

Where did they get $300 to pay for a rusty oil can???

The fact that people with this kind of taste and disposable income exist in this God-forsaken land renders me utterly speechless. And then I die laughing. Oh, I will miss that fifteen seconds of each American Pickers episode. It always makes the other 2805 seconds totally worth it.

This is Frank and his beloved oil cans.

1 comment:

  1. We gave up cable a few months ago (something I never ever thought Jeremy would allow) I haven't missed it at all. But then again I grew up with out tv. We do have Netflix and we'll sometimes rent a redbox movie but seriously I think I am much happier.

    ReplyDelete