Sunday, August 10, 2014

Grace and Giggles


It's hard being almost two.

I cannot count the number of times I have told Noah this in the midst of a crisis over the last few weeks. His head is at counter height, his feet walk without his brain guiding, baby sister borrows without asking, and sometimes we have squash for dinner. It's a rough life. And he's sure we know about it.

At a family gathering a few weeks ago after an altercation involving a glass door and a dog bell, my sweet little boy hauled off and slapped me across the face. In shock, I grabbed his hand and motioned to my husband that it was time to go... NOW. It was time to go somewhere with fewer witnesses. And no death penalty for murder one.

When we got home, settled every one down and got the kids in bed, I went back to my Dobson literature. I'm not saying his words are inspired; I do not believe he speaks gospel... but he is pretty close. Concerning the terrible two's he said, "I am a firm believer in the judicious use of grace (and humor) in parent-child relationships. In a world in which children are often pushed to grow up too fast, too soon, their spirits can dry out like prunes beneath the constant gaze of critical eyes. It is refreshing to see parents temper their inclination for harshness with a measure of "unmerited favor." There is always room for more loving forgiveness within our homes. Likewise, there's nothing that rejuvenates the parched, delicate spirits of children faster than when a lighthearted spirit pervades the home and regular laughter fills its halls." (Dr. James Dobson, Family Talk, Solid Answers.)

I knew this. I honestly think we know much more than we would admit. Often, forgetfulness, business, and failure to really think about the problems presented to us makes us believe we do not know. So whether forgetful or unthinking, I managed to forget that it is kind of hard being two. The world gets very big very fast. Time suddenly exists, and it refuses to wait or hurry. There are wonders and disasters, learning to fear and learning to love. There are icky foods that mommy says are good, dreaded baths, and early bedtimes. As I teach my Little Man kindness, maybe he could use a little demonstration. Mommy, can you be kind, understanding, firm but loving, gentle and cautious, and loads and loads of fun?

It is an impossible task, this raising a little man and lady. Knowing when to discipline is not easy (and yes, I do think, in the future, hitting requires discipline... maybe not death, but discipline). Knowing when to show mercy, when to offer grace, and when to laugh and laugh is not simple. It has been easier though with these thoughts in my head. My children are a wonder, and they are learning day by day how to be more wonderful. More than concerned for the terrible two’s I am excited to see what this Little Man becomes when he is not so little anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment