Monday, January 26, 2015

Joy, Unspeakable Joy!

I am studying the book of 1 Peter. Hopefully, it will be a ministry opportunity, so I will try to share without too many spoiler alerts. It seemed too fitting that just as I was studying joy in trouble, our pastor preached on joy in trouble, and many dear friends found themselves in trouble and chose joy. I suppose that is the first point. Joy is a choice. Love is a choice. Peace is a choice. These are not feelings. These are ways you choose for your heart to be; these are attitudes of obedience.

If you have been keeping up on my blog, you know that I have a problem: I am in love with my husband. I am just wild about him. In his presence I have great joy. I know that I can rage in his arms. I can weep in his embrace. I can vent anger, mourn the darkness, and experience a broad range of emotions in his presence. But I always have joy with him. When we weep together, we are in joy. When I seethe with anger, I still choose joy. Because of him. Because of who he is. Because he chose me. And because tomorrow the hurt will be less, the light will break, and he will be there, unchanged in his promise. I have joy with my husband because he is a good man, because he loves me, and because we have the hope of new days ahead.

How much more with the Holy One, Whose love is rivers, Whose heart is bold and unchanging, Whose promise is surer than the mountains that rise around us? How much more joy can we have in the presence of God: the One Who is only ever good, Who loves with the shedding of His blood, and Who gives a hope that is surer than the rising of the sun, that there are new days ahead?

I choose joy; because He chose me.

This is not faking it. This is not putting on a good face, putting up a wall, dawning a mask. You can be real, you can be authentic, and you can have joy in suffering. Christ's vision is reality. His character is truth. And His character, His promise, and His heart bring joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment