Monday, February 11, 2013

Seven Days of Valentines

Thursday afternoon I sat rather unsuspecting in my half demolished cubicle, resting my work computer on my lap and balancing a box of Lean Cuisine Sweet n Sour chicken in my one free hand. (Wow, there is nothing I'm proud of in that last sentence... except maybe my incredible sense of balance. Proprioception to the rescue!) Our office door squeaked open and a voice that probably belongs on a crabbing boat in the Bering Sea asked if there was an Abi Ririe here. 'No, Abi Ririe is off looting with pirates somewhere in the warm Caribbean. This husk typing numbers into Excel cells is merely a place holder.'

Mr. Gruff Voice then handed me a box and asked me to sign for it. Suddenly, Abi caught the first flight back from the Caribbean to reality land, confused and somewhat surprised that she would receive a package on a day so random as a Thursday. The box was from Pro-Flowers. For a brief moment I had a sinking feeling. The husband has been so busy, and stressed, and sick, and tired, and sick. Maybe he just forgot what day Valentine's is? The poor guy really needs a few weeks in Fiji.

Opening the box I was greeted with a beautiful, heart-covered vase, gorgeous fresh tulips and Irises, and a box of chocolate truffles. My cheeks all aflush and a smile threatening to tear me in two I pulled out the card. "The start of seven days of Valentine's!!!! -Jnoster". The other women in the office gravitated to my desk and oohed and awed with sufficient joy and envy. Several of the guys walked past with a sneer that said they were still recovering from the mistakes of Valentine's past. I was elated. I probably smiled to the point that my face might have stuck that way in the cold.

"Who's 'Jnoster'?" one coworker asked. I replied that I had no idea. I was 99 percent sure it was some nickname from the Husband that I should understand. The lingering 1 percent was terrified that I might be getting seven days of Valentine's from a secret (creepy) admirer. About 30 minutes later I realized it was all my boys names combined like a short-lived celebrity couple. Adorable.

I thanked the Husband profusely when I got home. He'd asked if I'd ever seen that Simpsons episode. Not for the last time I looked at him deeply confused. So yes, he got the idea from the Simpsons, but I don't care because I feel so special and loved and sick on chocolate. He's amazing. More than I could ever deserve.

So if anyone has a great idea for Valentines gifts for a guy, who is absolutely remarkable and wonderful, please let me know. I've only got two days left to figure something out.

No comments:

Post a Comment