Sunday, January 20, 2013

Why I Know who is Playing in the Superbowl this Year

When asked in Jr. High if there were any careers I didn't think I would ever excel at I replied, "I doubt I'll ever be much of a sports commentator." This is because I was overly quiet, disliked useless banter, and knew absolutely nothing about sports that weren't tennis. I could list the top one hundred men's professional tennis players in order of ATP ranking, serve speed, and bicep circumference. Other than that, I knew baseballs were round, football players smashed into one another, and they show golf on Sunday afternoon because it coincides with nap time.

Fast forward fifteen years, and the calm, mild-mannered, quiet Abi has turned into a rabid University of Utah Ute hooligan, jumping up and screaming at the TV, sitting through entire games in the freezing rain/snow, and talking about "her boys" as if she was on a first name basis with Travis, Star, Joe, and John the "Wolfman" White.

What happened?

The Husband.

And it's not just college football. Ask me anything about baseball. Who acquired Josh Hamilton in the off season? The Angels. What's a Suicide Squeeze? Only the most gutsy, awesome play in the game. What is the best possible outcome when the New York Yankees play the Tampa Bay Rays? A meteor crashing into the stadium.

And professional football. Who is the rightful 49ers quarterback? Alex Smith. What's a Wildcat formation?... I can't explain it without chalk and a board. But I know what it is. And I still know tennis, and I kind of know golf, and I begrudgingly know some basketball.

Why?

Because I am a good wife, and am rather, quite, overly fond of my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment